Monday, February 25, 2008

Never go up against a 3-year-old when peanut butter is on the line...

"You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha..."

Only it's a battle of wills instead of a battle of wits.

Today I did it. For the first time ever, I gave my children peanut butter and jelly for lunch. I just could not fix Mac & Cheese again. They also had baked Cheetos and their choice of milk or water. They both chose water.

Young Janet will eat anything. She's a lot like Mikey that way. Janet ate an entire 1/3 of her sandwich (and all of her Cheetos), which, given the fact that she had a morning snack, is good enough for me.

Busby, on the other hand, will emphatically not eat something if it is not his "faybritt." Peanut butter is not his faybritt. Ok, I'm down with that. You don't have to eat it all, but you do have to eat one bite. Just one, small smackerel of a pb&j on white bread. Of course, he ate all of the Cheetos that have not been poisoned with a tiny smear of peanut butter. He finished he water, smacking his lips together after every single sip. But he will not eat the pb&j. I told him that if he didn't take a bite before his nap, it will be waiting there for him when he gets up.

A few minutes ago, Janet came up to me and said "Nap." I said, "Are you ready for a nap." She replied, "Uh huh." So she's laying there in her new big-girl bed, singing herself to sleep. Busby is sitting here asking for his blankie. I told him he has to eat a bite of sandwich first. He's not happy with me.

We'll see how the rest of the plot unfolds...

*****

15 minute later update: Janet is passed out asleep in exactly the same position I left her in. She wasn't kidding when she said, "Nap!"

Busby is now laying down. Ya, I'm a wuss. But that sandwich will still be there when he gets up. I already told him there will be no afternoon snack until he eats that one tiny bite that I even went so far as to cut out for him, and put on a fork after he said he didn't want to use his fingers.

*****

3 hour later update: I just couldn't make him eat it. It was dry and crusty, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

No comments: