Sunday, April 6, 2008

I don't have any arms

For me lately, dinner preparation has been somewhat stressful. I've just not been organized, and have not been planning like I should. Add on top of that a sick husband, whose mind I cannot always read, and whose stomach I'm not sure will keep down much. Then make it 6:00, and Janet saying "Dinner!"

So, I had to get something together that would reasonable feed my family and that everyone will keep in their body for the proper amount of time. I came up with mac & cheese (shocking, I know) and canned peaches. Because it's fast, easy, and the kids will eat it. BK said he would also like a pb&j or fried cheese sandwich*. I opted for the former, which were fixed at the table. As you know, peanut butter is not Busby's "fabrit", so he just got jelly bread. Janet ate nearly an entire sandwich on top of her mac and cheese. I fixed a lovely sandwich for BK, and then I made one for myself.

I made the perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich for myself tonight. The perfect pb&j is a magical thing, because no matter how much practice you have, you can't make them all this perfect all the time. Somehow, it just doesn't happen the same way each time. Mine started out with the right bread (Meijer Brand Split Top White Bread in the blue bag), a scoop of Jif brand peanut butter that at first glance appeared to be way too much, but was perfect, and a small shovel load of Smucker's strawberry jam. It was incredible.

Janet is in the phase where she likes to name her physical features and point them out to you. Eyes, ears, hair, mouth, teeth, fingers, piggies. Tonight she said "arms." And I said "Where are your arms?" She batted her eyes at me. So I waived my arms around a bit and said "Arms!" Busby said, "Sissy, do you have arms?" She just looked at him blankly. "Daddy, do you have arms?" "Yes." "I have arms. Mommy, do you have arms?" "No, Busby, I do not have arms." (I love to mess with the kids sometimes. I blame Big Kahuna for this. His twisted sense of humor has rubbed off on me in the worst ways.) Busby seemed a bit perplexed. But recovered when I picked up my perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich and proceeded to eat it.

A few minutes later, Janet had to be reminded to keep her feet off of the dinner table. Busby had to be reminded to keep his hands out of his pull up while we are eating. Janet decided to try to scoop up her knee with her spoon. We asked if she could eat her knee, thinking she would lean over and take a bite. Instead she kept trying to scoop it up with her spoon. Eventually, the kids got tired of entertaining us. Busby, as usual, asked to be excused first. I asked him to show me his hands, which he and Janet did at the same time, jazz hands style.

* Because I prepare them in a skillet, Big Kahuna calls grilled cheese sandwiches "fried cheese sandwiches." I have adopted this name for them as well.

No comments: