Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Popcorn and Contractions

An update on goings-on:

For the last several evenings, I have had much lower abdominal pain and discomfort, often resulting in me doubling over. (Contractions for first two kids were very low, contractions experienced so far: very low.) Then (TMI alert!!!) I pass gas, and all is well again. Which isn't what I really wanted. I wanted to be in labor so we can get on with the business of bringing up baby.

Big Kahuna dragged out the screens yesterday afternoon, repainted them, and between us we got the storm windows out and the screens in. Yeah for cool, fresh air throughout the house.

This morning: many irregular, non-gas related lower abdominal pains. Nothing earth shattering, but annoying and uncomfortable nonetheless.

25 minutes ago: Crabby kids put themselves to bed to "take a rest." I need to go check that they aren't jumping on the beds, but it's nice that at least Busby is recognizing that all this arguing with Mommy isn't getting him anywhere, and maybe taking a nap would make things better.

All morning without relenting: my overwhelming hunger. I am so, so, so hungry. What do I want to eat? Chocolate. And only chocolate. What am I eating? Popcorn, that the microwave's autotimer burned. Oh, and Orange Kool-Aid. Because that's just a winning combination to crush my desire to eat all the chocolate in my house, the neighbor's house, and all the chocolate at Target.

Speaking of Target, I received an invitation to a friend's bridal shower. She and her husband have registered at Target, Kohl's, Pampered Chef, and (this is so fitting!) Lowe's. Who knew that Lowe's had a bridal registry? It fits her perfectly, though. I only hope she will share those tools with her new husband.

Yesterday, I accepted a full-time position with my law firm. I will begin doing this after some maternity leave. (There apparently is a question whether the boss will allow 8 weeks off, but we'll work it out one way or another.) I'll be honest, I'm not really happy about taking a full-time job at this point in my kids' life, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative at this point. But, this will get us out of debt faster (HIP HIP HOORAY!!!) and get us a mini van faster (HIP HIP HOORAY!!!). Plus, since Big Kahuna works in a construction-related industry, we don't anticipate that he will be able to earn as much this year as last, since building is down in his market.

I checked out out Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, Deceptively Delicious, from the library. While I'm on board with the idea, the bulk of those recipes are just not for my family. So it's going back well before the due date. I also checked out a couple of books on once-a-month cooking, which I am supremely interested in. I've marked many pages that I would like to copy down information from, and try implementing.

As you can see from my side bar thingy, I'm reading "Siblings without Rivalry." It's interesting, and I'm going to try to stick with it. I'm hoping to learn a few things to help deal with the inevitable squabbles that I have to look forward to. Then I'll be reading a book about the effects of divorce 25 years later. (My parents divorced 22 years ago, so this is very much about my generation and my siblings.)

So long for now. I'll try to post again after this afternoon's OB appointment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How frustrating for you that this is taking so long! I hope the popcorn isn't too rich in fiber. ;)